Friday, November 21, 2008

Gentle Persuasions

Welcome me to the wonderful world of blogging! YAY! I know, some of you may be thinking, "Um...hello Susi?! It is the 21st Century. The age of technology. How is it that you are barely starting a blog?" Well, the answer is...I don't know. Some who know me know that I am not one to jump on the proverbial bandwagon. And if I do, it takes me a while. So, after many "gentle persuasions," here I am. Besides being pressured by many to create a blog, I felt compelled to start one, only after seeing something that would make any one person blog: "Twilight." That's right. I saw it. Nevermind that I refused to read any of the books despite the many people in my life who told me it was such a good book. That they couldn't put it down. That the descriptions are fantastic! Even the lady who gives me a massage tried to convince me to read them! I was not going to be swayed! And maybe because there was the added pressure that the author is a BYU grad and Mormon and many in Utah think that "our kind need to stick together and support one another," (gag) did I absolutely refuse to read the book. But I did attend the midnight premiere of the movie here in St. George. Mind you it wasn't my decision. I just casually mentioned to my sister-in-law Britni after work that the movie theatre had opened up another showing of "Twilight" and that she may be able to get tickets. In my head I was secretly guffawing "Ha! Good luck with that one!" Britni's tenacity won out against any kind of common sense and that's how I happened to go to a midnight movie. Thanks Britni! For someone who had no real burning desire to watch the movie (especially on a premiere night), I was completely out of place. I arrived at the theatre at 11, in my most comfortable pants and sweater, slippers, glasses, and my latest read: "Pride and Prejudice." I know right? Amid the throngs of teenage girls and young adult women in "Twilight" and "I Heart Edward" t-shirts, I was quite out of place. I wonder if Elizabeth Bennet felt that way when she went to attend to a sick Jane at the Bingley's. Hmmm....Anyways. The lights dim and the previews begin. Cue thunderous applause and cheers. I roll my eyes. The previews end and the the event that many have been waiting months, nay years for, has started. Cue more applause and screams. I shift in my seat. You hear Bella's voice and see a cactus. Apparently, she's moving. You go maybe 15-20 minutes without ever seeing the whole reason you're there. Edward. If I were as enthralled in the books as so many of you, I too may be getting anxious. Like a girl waiting for her first date. My palms would be sweating. My heart beating rapidly. Would he look just like I've pictured him? Would he be that cute, adorable vampire that I secretly would want to bite me, so I too would be an immortal? Ugh...And then, before I know it, here comes Edward in all his glorious pale splendor! Cue applause and screams that would awaken the dead. This time I verbally speak my thoughts--wishing that some people would just be considerate and keep their mouths shut during a movie. There was one woman in particular who seemed to laugh at everything. I couldn't figure it out. There was nothing really funny about the movie. Sure, there were a few one-liners that had me snicker. One in particular where Bella tells Edward that "your moodswings are giving me whiplash." That's a good one--I may have to use it. What I couldn't figure out (and maybe it's because I haven't read the books), but why is Bella so pale? It's all a little too ghostly for me. The best part of the night however, wasn't the fact that I may be intrigued enough to actually read the novel (I know, take a moment to gasp), but it happened when I was mentioning to Britni that I thought that Stephenie Meyer had to have made a pact with the devil for the books to be such a worldwide success and to have a movie made in such a short amount of time. In a recent Reuters article I read, it reported that Meyer's four books have topped 25 million, in 37 languages including Vietnamese, Chinese, Croatian and Latvian. Really? 37 languages? Meyer's is nearly half way there with J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series being translated into 67 languages. :) At least people are reading. And why is she slated, "Stephenie Meyer, a Mormon author from Arizona...?" Who cares what her religious affiliation is? So, pact with the devil. A gentleman sitting in front of me turned around and agreed! It seriously made my whole night! It's often the little things. However, I think because I didn't read the books, I didn't have any preconceived notions about Bella or Edward or the story. I was able to just enjoy the movie. And yes, I did enjoy it. Considering that the budget to make this film was relatively small, I thought the cinematography was gorgeous. It's nice that they got people who are kind of no-names in the business. It is kind of a chick flick, but albeit a good one. Again, why else would I be persuaded to start a blog? And cue applause.

6 comments:

laninaki said...

*Thunderous Applause*
*Thunderous Applause*

This is a big week for you - a blog and that movie! I'm so proud!

Sara Ann said...

Sus- You are HILLARIOUS! I read the first 3 books, but then I wanted to kill Bella for being such an overdramatic whiner, so I did not read the 4th. I probably will see the movie at some point. I wish I was there with you! What a riot:) I am totally adding you to my blog list:)

Sara Ann said...

Oh, I forgot, I LOVED your post title.."I'm just a love machine..."

leinani45 said...

lol... i told you you would like it. ;)

Susi said...

I wish all my girls were there last night! You all would have appreciated it. It was a beaut.

And yes...for you Friends junkies, I couldn't think of a title and that was the only "catch phrase" I could come up with! I may just change my titles to reflect awesome Friends quotes! And I too, am just a love machine! :)

Aimee said...

Oh man. I found you through Sara's blog and thoroughly enjoyed your first post when I read it yesterday. Then today, I have been dying to get home and comment, because today I went to church at Stephanie Meyer's building. You can be jealous if you like. I went to YW with my sister-in-law (she's a counselor) and the YW president had to step out for a minute during opening exercises, so she told the girls, "I'll be right back. Talk about Twilight while I'm gone." And they did! Then, when she came back, my sister-in-law came to sit by me and whispered, "I just passed Stephanie in the hallway waiting for her tithing settlement appointment." So much for your pact with the devil theory. :) I'll admit I contemplated going to get a drink so I could pass her, but I refrained! I have only read the first book (that was enough), and have crossed "Edward" and "Jacob" off my possible baby names list, because can you imagine how many there will be?!!