Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Fruit Good.Cake Great.Fruit Cake?Nasty Crap.

I don't get people's obsession with fruitcake. What's good about it? Nothing. I visited the Hurricane Pioneer Museum a couple of months ago and saw a 100-year old preserved fruitcake? WHY? What would possess someone to want to preserve a fruitcake? According to wikipedia, fruitcake is "a cake made with chopped candied fruit and/or dried fruit, nuts and spices, and optionally soaked in spirits. Fruitcakes are often served in the celebration of weddings and Christmas." I guess people like it because it's typically drenched in spirits. But what bride would have something like that at her wedding. Give me a chocolate cake rich in icing any day! I also learned from our somewhat trusty souce wikipedia, that "starting in the 16th century, inexpensive sugar from the American Colonies, and the discovery that high concentrations of sugar could preserve fruits, created an excess of candied fruit, thus making fruitcakes more affordable and popular." I still think that no matter how much sugar you use, fruitcakes should be banned. Here's some facts about fruitcake to think about....47-Percentage of people who say they’d toss a holiday fruitcake in the trash without delay

11-Percentage of people who say they would make time to re-gift a fruitcake

25-Years that fruitcakes can age and still be enjoyed, as long as they have the right preservatives and are stored in tightly closed tins

2,952-Pounds of fruitcake delivered to U.S. troops in Iraq for the holidays last year

25 years! Who wants to eat a 25 year old fruitcake?!

I leave you with one of my favorite comedians, Jim Gaffigan, talking about cake. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Sara Ann said...

Yuck, I also saw that 100 year old fruit cake in the Hurricane museum. I told someone and they did not believe me, I am glad you can back me up.

leinani45 said...

lol. never tried fruitcake, but it sounds like it would be too sweet for me. Yes, there is a 100 year old fruitcake in th Hurricane Museum... There is also a 50 year (i think) old bacon slab. :)

Shannon said...

Ewww! hahaha!!! I wonder if anyone tried eating the fruitcake when it had it's 25th birthday. That is too funny how they preserved the fruity centurion. blah! I have to go eat some chocolate cake now. =)

laninaki said...

Sick. Of all the things to preserve, they chose fruitcake? Naaaaaasty.